Friday, February 15, 2008

The Way I See It #273

Gotta love Starbucks. How many drinks have I had and not read the dang cup. Who would of thought? This morning the moon, stars and pupils of my eyes must of lined up and I read my cup. Somehow it really hit home with me. As I read it I thought of the times Mark and I have sat down and Chelsea crawled up in our laps with a pile of books to read to her. So often we have other things to do but are so richly rewarded when we take the time to be a "human laptop".
I miss those times with my own children, although I probably could get them to sit on my lap if I tried, not the same effect as when they were little however. I am sure I had those moments with my children, times when they climbed up in my lap and needed to be held, needed to be read to, and loved on. They just seem so long ago.
It is funny how having a grandchild brings back a flood of memories with your own children. Along with that I find myself wishing I would of taken more time to enjoy those moments. Wishing I hadn't been in such a hurry and so busy "doing" that I didn't take the time to "enjoy" like I wish I had.
With that said, Lord, Make me a human laptop. May my children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and anyone else who needs a lap to crawl onto, always know that they are welcome.

All children need a laptop.
Not a computer, but a human laptop.
Moms, Dads, Grannies and Grandpas, Aunts, Uncles – someone to hold them, read to them, teach them.
Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals and knowledge of a hundred previous generations.
Loved ones who will pass to the next generation their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams.

-- General Colin L. PowellFounder, America’s Promise – the Alliance for Youth.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is a GREAT post - one of my favorites!! So real and true!!

~ May we all remember the importance of being a human "laptop" :)

Ronda said...

I am all over that one! A human laptop...may my lap be open to all who want to use it!

Renee, thanks for the reminder to love on Landon while he is yet young. You being the Grandma and all, you have wisdom to share. I have to admit there are times I question that wisdom...
:) Love you my friend!

Melisa Jo said...

Well, I'm just going to have to take the time to read my Starbucks cups. These touching moments are going to get me. Just something about the feeling you extend in your posts, always makes me have watery eyes. It's all good. Lv, MJ

PS Can't wait to use the human laptop! Smile!

sueellieslife said...

Renee, you make me want to crawl up in your lap and take a sunggle! Enjoy your grandbaby, and now I'm off to see if I can get Bobbie to suggle with me!
Thanks for the warm thoughts!!

A.S.K.-P. said...

Here my friend, check out this link.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/westonr1/1845960568/

GB Hugs,
Love You,
Amy

Anonymous said...

That's what my lap is made for............ great stuff!