Monday, September 3, 2007

Memories of the First Day of School

As we look toward another school year I can't help but think about all those "first days of school" with my own children. All the excitement of buying school supplies and new clothes. Believe it or not I still remember how I felt getting ready for school (now that is one heck of a memory). I could barely sleep the night before and it was probably the one day of the year that I didn't have to be drug out of bed in the morning.

I don't remember if my mom took pictures of us on our first day of school but I sure remember lining my own kids up on the front porch and taking several of them. Yes, I even followed them to school and took pictures in the classrooms, until they got to an age when that wasn't so cool anymore. At that point I was banned to the front porch and just had to wave to them as they headed off to school without me.

I miss those days with my children. For some reason they felt they needed to grow up and spread their own wings. The house seems to quiet without them yet the walls seem to echo their laughter. I love it when they all come home together. They fall right back into their same "pecking order". I enjoy just sitting back and listening to them.

So, as school begins again, I think of each of them. Gone are all their first days of school, only to be replaced by many other firsts, and many photo opportunities with memories to cherish.
To Sarah, Christen, Jonathan and David....I love you. Thank you for all the cherished memories that a mom holds so dear in her heart.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a great, great post!
Love the photos too - your kids are beautiful!

A.S.K.-P. said...

Awh, that was such a sweet post Queenie. That is a GREAT pic of the kids too!

Hope you're doing good.

I Miss You!

GB Hugs,
Love Ya~

Melisa Jo said...

OK, so where is all this coming from. I'm going to have to approach your posts with caution, as you are making get out the ol box of Kleenex. Great post Renee.

Ronda said...

This is the year to start creating my "Memories of the first day of School". Yes, Landon will have to endure the photos each year also! At least I can come to you when I need a shoulder to splash my tears on! Thanks Renee.