Saturday, December 13, 2008

Deck the Halls

Everyday I find out more and more about myself, like how much patience I can put into practice if I really want to. Some of you are laughing at that, aren't you? This year the Christmas decorating was a little different for me. I have always had the kids here to help out, to haul boxes and boxes up from the basement, to open up the boxes and know where everything is suppose to go, to help with lights, to assemble the tree and tolerate the Christmas music that has to be playing as we decorate.
This year it was just me. I brought the tree up and spent a day putting it together and adding the 5 strands of lights. It was a little different for me, I found myself really missing my kids. They moan a little, but they add life to the day. They harass me about being such a perfectionist, they tease each other, and me behind my back. They giggle and laugh together, which is music to my ears.
It was quiet this year. I had time to think, which is very scary for me. I handled it for a day and then begged Sarah to let Chelsea come help. So, I had a day of thinking and reflecting, which was very good for me, might post more on that later, and I had a fun day with the Princess.

She was so much fun, she loved opening up the boxes and she would get so excited at each item. It was better than Christmas morning by far. Every ornament was a thing of wonder to her. Yes, she has helped me decorate every year, but this year was different. She is almost 5 you know, so the conversation is much different and she has ideas of her own now. The bonus is she lets me take her picture pretty much whenever I want to, and believe me, I want to.
I know things about myself, like every ornament has to be in the right place, they have to be spaced just so, there is an order that they go on the tree, first the red balls, then the snowman balls, then the handmade ornaments, then the candycanes. Let me tell you right now, we did things a bit different this year. I tried my darnedest to stay a step ahead of Chelsea the whole day. She loves to learn and she is watching everything I do, so the minute I hung an ornament, she knew exactly what to do and where she was going to hang them. At one point I turned around and she was on a chair, just like Grandma was doing, reaching up high to hang ornaments. Made me a bit nervous but...what the heck, I kept an eye on her and she did fine. I tried very hard to not move any of the ornaments she hung up, but may have moved a few.
At one point I turned around and this is what she was doing, blowing the tree a kiss. Now how cute is that? I just love her to pieces.

While hanging the candy canes she informed me that they could make a heart. Now, tell me how she came up with that one.

I do believe the highlight of her day is when the nativity set came out of the box. She has loved this since she was old enough to touch it. I am sure she doesn't understand what it is yet, but one day she will understand the nativity story and the true meaning of Christmas. She was so careful to unwrap each piece, just like Grandma told her too. (it is an expensive set so I want her to take care of it) She sat at the table and played with it for over an hour.

At the end of the day, we had decorated two trees, hung lights and garland, set out decorations, and both had a wonderful time.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had Chelsea to share the decorating with you. I still hate doing it alone. You're a lucky grandma.

The Oregon Thorndikes said...

She is such a cutie. We sure miss seeing her at school...:(
Enjoy your holidays with her!